Monday, June 25, 2012

Table to Bench!

Well! First things first, I made a trip to Goodwill today, not knowing what I would find, but was looking for something of the sort~ of course not leaving with just the one item, HOWEVER, besides the point. I FOUND THIS! $4.99, This little wooden "table" as they had labeled it... was staring at me. I had to have it.

Next, I ran down to Home Depot and grabbed the primer (as I was out, usually lasts me forever!) and a navy blue to match my house. I grabbed extra staples and away we went! Total cost there was roughly $10.00
Next was Joann's Fabric! I found this indoor/outdoor fabric onsale for 30% off and realized I needed less than a yard, WHOO HOO! $4.87. I decided to go a little more spendy on the pads, seeing as my husband was going to be the one sitting on it mostly, and they were $18.00, BUT I had a coupon so I spent a total of $18.00.
I used a hot glue gun as well, but it is optional so its not featured :)

** For those of you keeping track, we have spent $32.00, however with different padding, it can be done MUCH cheaper. **

Next was the fun part! I turned it over and primered it! Just a small coat, nothing too big.

After letting the primer dry it was REALLY time for the fun part. BLUE! I took it slow and easy (not easy for me, quick and efficant is always my style) as I didn't want to miss anything. I didn't worry about the top or the inside, people weren't going to see the inside of the soon to be bench and they weren't going to see the top either!

** Note- Remember to flip your piece over if it has grooves on the legs to ensure you have covered every section of it with paint! **

YES! Paint is dry, time to apply padding! I measured out my padding so it was perfectly aligned. (I am somewhat of a perfectionist)

In order to ensure that my padding wasn't going to be going anywhere while I was trying to staple, I used a hot glue gun and just zig-zagged some right on the table! The foam took to it with absolutly no problems!

I layed my fabric out on the floor, right side down, and placed my table right in the middle of where it needed to be. A couple inches extra on the sides does wonders when your trying to stretch it to make sure it lookes beautiful! After pulling a section snug, I went ahead a stapled!
The staples don't look all the way in, but after I did a row, I used my little finishing hammer to ensure they were all flush with the board.

After roughly 300 staples and a few ugly looking removed ones, (hey, I said I was a perfectionist... not perfect!) I used a hot glue gun, again, all along the seams so that it wouldn't fray, and gave it a little more support to the wood.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST! FLIP IT OVER! TA-DA! Fairly easy project and it makes it so much sweeter when its "useless to useful" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment